Welcome! to KCTG

I love to EAT, TRAVEL,COOK, always searching for foods, restaurants, recipes, a LEVEL ABOVE ordinary fare - SATORI (Japanese word for AHA!) foods . Find my recipes and those I find, restaurants reviews from all over, posted travels, highlights from interesting TV shows (Travel Channel, Food Channel etc).
SEND YOUR COMMENTS to me (Google, Open ID etc-see left side). Link to me as a friend and contact me about ideas, comments etc. Like my reviews? Please VOTE for me on Urbanspoon
and give me a KUDOs if you like my work. Thanks

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Recipe Finds: Using the vile Durian that the Bizarre Foods host won't eat

Andrew Zimmerm hosts Travel Channel's Bizzare Food TV show. Many items that most find disgusting he likes and eats. However one he does not like is the durian, a stinky fruit. Here is a recipe in case you find it. I don't think I will but you can.

Durian Ice Cream


By Rhonda Parkinson, About.com

While durian is not native to China, both China and Hong Kong are major import markets for this distinctive looking fruit. The sweet flavor and thick texture of durian makes it perfect for ice cream. Use fresh durian if possible.

Ingredients:

  • 4 to 6 segments fresh, frozen or canned durian, as needed to make 4 ounces durian paste
  • 2 large egg yolks
  • 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, or to taste
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
  • 1 cup light cream
  • 1 cup whole milk

Preparation:

Remove the seeds from the durian. Use an electric mixer to mix the flesh into a paste. Press the paste through a fine sieve. You should have 4 ounces durian paste at this point. (If not, use more durian). Chill the durian paste until ready to use.

In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs with the vanilla essence and sugar.

Bring the milk and cream to a near boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low. Pour in the egg mixture, stirring constantly to thicken. Take care not to let the mixture boil, or the milk will curdle (if you see bubbles forming at the edge of the saucepan, take it off the stove element).

Allow the custard to cool. Chill the custard in the freezer for 30 to 45 minutes, until it is just beginning to harden. Gradually stir in the durian paste, a tablespoon at a time.

Either continue freezing, stirring several times throughout, or finish the ice cream in an ice cream maker.

No comments: