Welcome! to KCTG

I love to EAT, TRAVEL,COOK, always searching for foods, restaurants, recipes, a LEVEL ABOVE ordinary fare - SATORI (Japanese word for AHA!) foods . Find my recipes and those I find, restaurants reviews from all over, posted travels, highlights from interesting TV shows (Travel Channel, Food Channel etc).
SEND YOUR COMMENTS to me (Google, Open ID etc-see left side). Link to me as a friend and contact me about ideas, comments etc. Like my reviews? Please VOTE for me on Urbanspoon
and give me a KUDOs if you like my work. Thanks

Sunday, March 1, 2009

San Francisco is great for food and more- An American Iron beaten tonight

I love San Francisco. I have been here for some conferences, traveling and a NASA conference. After the conference day events, I would walk down to the warf and either eat Thai or something on the way or at the warf. I have some reviews already from restaurants I have tried. But one that I would like to try it I ever come to SF is Aziza, rated #1 in Morocco in the area. It's head chef is

Iron Chef America battle against this chef who focuses on Morocco food, rated #1 in SF area by Urbanspoon
I love when I hear that chef Mourad Lahlou did not start out wanting to be a chef and then changed. This chef was an economist first. See more about his background (very interesting)
http://www.aziza-sf.com/about_us.html
He would go up against Iron Chef Cat Cora in a redfish (once popularly known in Cajun dishes)
Then I saw it is #1 in SF Morocco ethnic restaurants.
http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/6/80587/restaurant/Richmond/Aziza-San-Francisco
http://www.aziza-sf.com/

regular menu
http://www.aziza-sf.com/dinner_&_sweets.html
review from SF review
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/02/25/DD6H15UVPR.DTL&feed=rss.entertainment

But then back to the battle. I always watch intently to see what they are making and of course what happens when the meals were presented. Both competitors had good plating. I thought that Lahlou had good balance of acidity in some dishes but lost points as to taste. They were both original. I thought Cora was ahead on originality and different types of food. She got shot down for a redfish beignet because being fried it was not original enough.
I picked Cora by +2. I am usually right on or one or two away from the winner side. However, I was wrong but was was glad to see that Lahlou won and killed her +7 . So I was off by 9 which way off for me. Still let's say I am glad he won.
The outcome was
Cora Lahlou
______________________
taste 23 26
______________________
plating 11 14
______________________
originality 11 12
______________________
45 52

I hope to go his place someday. If any of you try his place, send me a buzz and let me know.

No comments: