Welcome! to KCTG

I love to EAT, TRAVEL,COOK, always searching for foods, restaurants, recipes, a LEVEL ABOVE ordinary fare - SATORI (Japanese word for AHA!) foods . Find my recipes and those I find, restaurants reviews from all over, posted travels, highlights from interesting TV shows (Travel Channel, Food Channel etc).
SEND YOUR COMMENTS to me (Google, Open ID etc-see left side). Link to me as a friend and contact me about ideas, comments etc. Like my reviews? Please VOTE for me on Urbanspoon
and give me a KUDOs if you like my work. Thanks

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Time to try fondues

I have not made fondue for a long time but when I saw this recipe (see below) I thought it looked good and worth an attempt. It was not really all that difficult to make. Since it was only us two, I did half the recipe. I also did not have chipotle peppers so I put in about 4 tblspn of chipotle hot sauce to replace it which I thought might replace the 1.5 chipotles. We made cubed Italian bread, zucchini, green apple, sweet apple, red grapes. They were all very good with the cheese- chipotle fondue mixture. My wife liked it too.
While I know I can find more recipes on the internet, I will also use a cookbook that I have The New International Fondue Cookbook by Ed Callahan.
The introduction has two pages of very rudimentary advice and information concerning different types of fondues, equipment and entertaining. The rest of the book is the " star of the show"- the recipes. Most are easy to make and the ingredients are fairly easy to find. These fondue recipes span cheese, meat (like Mongolian hotpot), seafood but also include seafood, hot dips, baked , desserts, oriental , poultry, tempura and more. There is also the very different "rarebits"( a cheese fondue ) recipes. Each recipe also tells the ingredients, that can be dipped into the the fondues. I did try the creamy spinach (fondue) dip and it was very good (my rating 9.4/10). Some interesting ones that I have not tried as yet but will soon are: baked rice fondue, baked turkey fondue, pizza fondue and baked tuna fondue. If you have all the equipment and more information etc then this is a non pricey book and easy way to find some more recipes. If you need to find equipment, find out more about entertaining, then you might either need another book or use this book in conjunction with an appetizer or another book to round out your fondue adventures.


Fiery Fondue was e-mailed
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/neelys/fiery-fondue-recipe/index.html
review it as it has not been yet
Patrick and Gina Neely
Fiery Fondue

Ingredients

* 2 (8-ounce) packages white Cheddar, shredded
* 2 (8-ounce) packages Monterey Jack, shredded
* 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
* 12 ounces light beer
* 2 cloves garlic, smashed
* 3 chipotle chiles, minced
* Vegetables, for dipping
* Fruit, for dipping
* 1 loaf bread, cubed, for dipping

Directions

In a large bowl toss together cheeses and flour.

To a 4-quart saucepan, add the beer, smashed garlic and chipotle chiles and bring to a simmer for 10 minutes.

Whisk in cheese by the handful, making sure each addition melts before you add the next. Keep at a bare simmer. Transfer to a fondue pot and set over a low flame.

*Cook's Note: If sauce is too thick, add more beer. If it's too thin, add more cheese

Serve with fondue accompaniments of fruits, vegetables and bread.

No comments: