Welcome! to KCTG

I love to EAT, TRAVEL,COOK, always searching for foods, restaurants, recipes, a LEVEL ABOVE ordinary fare - SATORI (Japanese word for AHA!) foods . Find my recipes and those I find, restaurants reviews from all over, posted travels, highlights from interesting TV shows (Travel Channel, Food Channel etc).
SEND YOUR COMMENTS to me (Google, Open ID etc-see left side). Link to me as a friend and contact me about ideas, comments etc. Like my reviews? Please VOTE for me on Urbanspoon
and give me a KUDOs if you like my work. Thanks

Sunday, November 9, 2008

Johnny Cakes in Kansas City and recipe

This weekend at a local high school, anyone could eat all you want Johnny Cakes. There were quite a lot of people who lined up. The owner of the business had a perfect setup. A batter vat was poised over a roller which could go back and forth over the fryer. He would roll it , 8 cakes would come out and pool perfectly. After about 2 minutes he would flip them over. When that side was done he either place on the plates or literally flip them in the air to those like me in line for 2nd, 3rds etc.

The record was 72 I heard. I was no going to break the record or try. I had 9 in 2 attempts and I was happy and stuffed. Maybe I will make them myself sometime. Here's a recipe.

Johnny Cakes

Recipe Feedback:

By Diana Rattray, About.com

Some think these fried cornmeal cakes were originally called Journey Cakes, while others belive they were first called Shawnee Cakes after the tribe in the Tennessee Valley.

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 cup cornmeal
  • 1 to 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 cup hot milk
  • 1 tablespoon shortening

Preparation:

Mix the dry ingredients, then stir in the remaining ingredients. Drop or pour on the hot, greased griddle or drop in iron skillet and fry to golden brown on both sides. Serve with butter and syrup as for pancakes, or serve as a bread with butter.

No comments: