Welcome! to KCTG

I love to EAT, TRAVEL,COOK, always searching for foods, restaurants, recipes, a LEVEL ABOVE ordinary fare - SATORI (Japanese word for AHA!) foods . Find my recipes and those I find, restaurants reviews from all over, posted travels, highlights from interesting TV shows (Travel Channel, Food Channel etc).
SEND YOUR COMMENTS to me (Google, Open ID etc-see left side). Link to me as a friend and contact me about ideas, comments etc. Like my reviews? Please VOTE for me on Urbanspoon
and give me a KUDOs if you like my work. Thanks

Sunday, November 9, 2008

find the Jerk (marinade) for great chicken wings

Jerk is a spice and marinade commonly used and found in the Caribbean. It can be wet or dry but which ever way it is so good. Spicy but not really hot with fruity flavors it is great for chicken, beef, fish, seafood and even vegetables. Sunny Anderson of the Food Channel posted this great recipe and I had to let you all know about it.
There are many variations of the the jerk spice rub. Many don't use Habanero but it gives this recipe a little added kick. Plus while it is a very hot pepper, it also has a fruity flavor and adds flavor. You can also read the reviews of the recipe and comments at the end too which demonstrate how good these are. I 've made wings like this and they are really good but I want to compare these. Let me know what you think.
PS If you use habanero, use gloves. If the oils get on your skin or in your eyes or on contacts (as happended to me once) you will feel the pin. Take out more heat by taking away the seeds!
Caribbean Chicken Wings

Recipe courtesy Sunny Anderson, 2008

Add To My Recipe Box

Please sign in to add this recipe to your Recipe Box.

Sign In or Create your Recipe Box
Ingredients

* 1 habanero, seeded and chopped
* 1/4 cup soy sauce
* 1/4 cup honey
* 1/4 cup brown sugar
* 2 tablespoon sugar
* 2 teaspoons fennel seed
* 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
* 2 teaspoons allspice
* 2 teaspoons dried thyme
* 1 teaspoon ground ginger
* 4 garlic cloves, chopped
* 4 green onions, chopped
* 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
* 1/4 cup lime juice
* 1/4 cup orange juice
* 7 pounds chicken wings

Directions

In a food processor, blend together all the ingredients but the chicken until smooth. Reserve 1 cup of marinade. Place chicken wings into a large resealable plastic bag and pour remaining marinade over them. Seal and marinate in the refrigerator 4 to 6 hours.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 sheet trays with parchment. Remove chicken from bag and place on the baking sheets. Bake 20 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan bring reserved marinade to a boil. Reduce by 1/3 until it thickens slightly, about 10 minutes. After 20 minutes, remove chicken from oven. Brush chicken with the glaze. Raise the heat to 400 degrees F and cook chicken until cooked through, another 20 minutes.



* recipe Caribbean Chicken Wings
Laricka charlotte, AL 10-15-2008
Bring on the heat
Rated: 5 stars out of 5

These wings were the best ever. I doubled the recipe and used 4lbs of chicken wings.Their was enough sauce and for all the wings.I did bump the heat on the oven up. Instead of 350 first ,I did 375 first and then cooked them @ 400. They need to cook alot longer than 40 mins to be completely done and sticky.I cooked them for about 20 more mins.They turned out soooooo goooood. My family and friends loved them too. I also didnt use a whole habenero ,I used half per recipe.This was just enough heat for us.

* recipe Caribbean Chicken Wings
Ann Oldsmar, FL 10-11-2008
Outstanding!
Rated: 5 stars out of 5

I used drumsticks intead of wings (easier to eat) and cooked 5 minutes longer on each side. The family loved it.

* recipe Caribbean Chicken Wings
Judy Elkins Park, PA 10-03-2008
Great flavor, easy prep
Rated: 5 stars out of 5

This recipe is delicious - I saw it on TV yesterday and made it today. it has a lot of flavor, with a complex taste of honey, lime, soy, spices, and a good amount of heat (but not too much). I used 3 1/2 pounds of chicken thighs instead of wings, and made 1 1/2 times the amount of sauce, so that I could serve extra with the meal. I cooked it for 25 minutes in the first step, since thighs take lomger to cook through, and then for 20 minutes after I turned it over. My family loved it! I made the marinade in the morning, added the chicken thighs, and cooked it up at the end of the day. The skin was not crisp, even though I turned on the broiler for a minute or two at the end. (I don't know if it's even supposed to be crisp, but just so you know.) One note: It doesn't say this in the recipe, but on the program, Sunny Anderson said to out the chicken in with the top/skin side down, so that when you turn it over the top is facing up, and can brown.

* recipe Caribbean Chicken Wings
cecile chicago, IL 09-28-2008
Um Um Good!
Rated: 5 stars out of 5

These wings were excellent! My daughter is one of the pickiest eaters around and she absolutelly loved them. The marinade is awesome! I did not have any fennel seed and I used low sodium soy sauce, so I had to add some salt at the end of the cooking process. Next time I will either use regular soy sauce or add salt at the end as I did this time. I absolutely loved the mango avacado salad, it's very tasty and good for you. Thanks Sonny!

* recipe Caribbean Chicken Wings
Yolonda Akron, OH 09-28-2008
A little Jamaica
Rated: 5 stars out of 5

This is a great recipe. I love Caribbean and spicy foods. I made the wings and mango salad which made me feel like I was on the island.This recipe will become one of my treasures. I enoy your show Sunny and I look forward to many more island treats.

* recipe Caribbean Chicken Wings
GENORA moncks corner, SC 09-22-2008
very good
Rated: 5 stars out of 5

These are the best wings i have had in a long time, i saw these on sunday and i went out and got the things taht i needed and made them for my husband and i while he watched the game. They were great, the fennel seeds though, would not grind up in the food processor, so after i let the marinade sit for a while, i drained them out and then let it cook,(they do not taste good as whole seeds) i also turned the broiler on after the 40 minutes was up, i loved them so much i made them again today and i only put a 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper and a little piece of the habanero pepper(please note these wings are hot unless you reduce the heat)and today i let them start out cooking on 400 they started to brown faster then i turn the oven on broil for 15 to 20 seconds, watching them carefully, and they came out great, my daughter is a picky eater and she loved them, also i did not use 7pds of wings i only used 3. This is my favorite wing recipe!!!

* recipe Caribbean Chicken Wings
null null, null 09-22-2008
Come on BbabyLight my Fire
Rated: 5 stars out of 5

This recipe is AWESOME. I made it for my family the next day after watching the episode on tv. I have two daughters who absolutely love spicy food and this definitely hit the spot. The mango and avocado salad is probably one of my favorite salads now ever!! Thank you so very much for bringing a little bit of Jamaica, as you said into our home.

* recipe Caribbean Chicken Wings
Lori Athens, GA 09-21-2008
delicious and easy!
Rated: 5 stars out of 5

I haven't actually cooked the chicken yet, but I have made the marinade, and it's SOOOO GOOD. I keep taking little tastes of it. The only thing is that I don't think this would make enough for 7 pounds of wings. I am doing about 2 pounds of breasts (3 breasts), and I only have about half a cup left over. I'd suggest doubling the marinade recipe.

* « Previous
* 1
* Next »

No comments: