Hot and spicy chicken feet are a favorite treat in Asian countries.
Hot and Spicy Chicken Feet
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 32 chicken feet (about 2 lbs.)
- 1/2 cup sake
- 1/3 cup water
- 6 large thin slices fresh ginger
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup Chinese yellow rock sugar (or 1/4 cup granulated sugar)
- 2 dried hot chiles, crushed
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 star anise buds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup scallion cut in 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons minced scallion and 1t toasted sesame seeds for garnish
Preparation:Rub chicken feet with kosher salt and let stand for 10 minutes, rinse in cold water.
Place feet into a pot of rapidly boiling salted water, blanch for 5 minutes and drain well. Chicken feet can be set aside and refrigerated for a day until you need to cook further.
Place a 14-inch saute pan over high heat. Add the chicken and dry-sear to lightly brown. Add the remaining ingredients (except the garnish) and bring to a simmer. Cook, covered, for about 10 minutes. Uncover, and simmer until pan is almost “dry,” tossing frequently to coat the feet as the sauce reduces.Serve, garnishing with scallion shavings and toasted sesame seeds.