Welcome! to KCTG

I love to EAT, TRAVEL,COOK, always searching for foods, restaurants, recipes, a LEVEL ABOVE ordinary fare - SATORI (Japanese word for AHA!) foods . Find my recipes and those I find, restaurants reviews from all over, posted travels, highlights from interesting TV shows (Travel Channel, Food Channel etc).
SEND YOUR COMMENTS to me (Google, Open ID etc-see left side). Link to me as a friend and contact me about ideas, comments etc. Like my reviews? Please VOTE for me on Urbanspoon
and give me a KUDOs if you like my work. Thanks

Thursday, June 12, 2008

It's time for Creole or Cajun Jambalaya

What is the difference between Cajun and Creole? A search for recipes helped me answer this question and find more.
I had beef franks which I broiled. I also had chicken so it was time for Jambalaya which I never have really made. To me it is like the dish Latin Aroz con Pollo

(1) Both are strongly French, the Creoles and the Cajuns came to Louisiana by different paths.
(2) I heard that Creole has Chicken and/or beef and vegetables.
(3) In this internet the following was said.
http://www.tabasco.com/taste_tent/menu_planning/cajun_vs_creole_cooking.cfm
Cajun includes seafood and more. Creole (jambalaya) tends to be reddened with tomato, while Cajun jambalaya tends to be brown and lack tomato.

I started looking through my cookbooks and the internet. I found in the Kosher Creole Cookbook (by Mildred L. Covert and Sylvia R. Gerson) . The chicken and sausage jambalaya looked good. The turkey one I would try another time. I did not try this one which included chopped tomatoes.

Tony Chachere's Cajun Country Cookbook ( I used to watch his TV shows) had a similar one Tomy's Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya. This is the one I went with which had also celery, onions, bell pepper, creole seasonings, onions and more. I also paprika and more

I made that recipe in crockpot and the the ingredients melded together, the rice with everything. Tasty, the meats infused into the stew and more.

My rating 9.2/10

No comments: