Welcome! to KCTG

I love to EAT, TRAVEL,COOK, always searching for foods, restaurants, recipes, a LEVEL ABOVE ordinary fare - SATORI (Japanese word for AHA!) foods . Find my recipes and those I find, restaurants reviews from all over, posted travels, highlights from interesting TV shows (Travel Channel, Food Channel etc).
SEND YOUR COMMENTS to me (Google, Open ID etc-see left side). Link to me as a friend and contact me about ideas, comments etc. Like my reviews? Please VOTE for me on Urbanspoon
and give me a KUDOs if you like my work. Thanks

Saturday, December 29, 2007

I found this light Iraqi middle eastern recipe for squash soup

I found this light Iraqi middle eastern recipe for squash soup. Tomato based and the lemon juice gives it a little kick. I used 2 yellow squashes with 1 zucchini instead of just zucchini. Try it.
I rated it 9/10. Versatile, Can use it as entree, side, appetizer, add croutons, serve with bread or pita, crackers etc etc

Hot and Sour Zucchini Soup (Maradj Kar'a Hamiz)
Recipe #190132
This is a light, simple Mideastern soup with Iraqi flavorings. It can be made into a more substantial soup by adding cooked rice or barley or wheat berries, and/or lentils and/or garbanzo beans. A great way to use up leftover grains and legumes! The recipe has been adapted from Faye Levy's "Feast From The Mideast".
by lynnski / LA
| Edit...
My Notes

Requires Premium Membership
My Notes

ONLY YOU see your private notes, and they print with the recipe.
4
servings click to change U.S./Metric measurement system or number of servings
time to make 30 min 10 min prep
Change to: servings US Metric
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb tomatoes, chopped or 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
1 1/2 lbs zucchini, diced
3 cups vegetable broth
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon sugar
salt and pepper

Not the one? See other Hot and Sour Zucchini Soup (Maradj Kar'a Hamiz) Recipes

* < 30 mins Soups
* Low Protein Soups
* Iraqi Soups

1. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a saucepan.
2. Add garlic and cook over low heat about 30 seconds.
3. Add tomatoes, pepper flakes, salt and pepper and cook over medium heat about five minutes.
4. Add zucchini and broth; cook over low heat about 15 minutes or until squash is tender.
5. Add lemon juice and sugar.
6. Serve hot, cold or at room temperature, drizzled with one tablespoon of olive oil.
7. Serve with pita bread

No comments: