Welcome! to KCTG

I love to EAT, TRAVEL,COOK, always searching for foods, restaurants, recipes, a LEVEL ABOVE ordinary fare - SATORI (Japanese word for AHA!) foods . Find my recipes and those I find, restaurants reviews from all over, posted travels, highlights from interesting TV shows (Travel Channel, Food Channel etc).
SEND YOUR COMMENTS to me (Google, Open ID etc-see left side). Link to me as a friend and contact me about ideas, comments etc. Like my reviews? Please VOTE for me on Urbanspoon
and give me a KUDOs if you like my work. Thanks

Monday, December 31, 2007

Rancho Huevo at Milton's in Lawrence, KS


I ordered the Rancho Huevo at Milton's in Lawrence, KS (home of KU and the Jayhawks) mainly because I heard about this dish but never had it. The restaurant (ranked #1 breakfast and #2 coffee in Best of Lawrence open (B, L, D)) really has some great coffee and best brunche offerings.

http://www.lawrence.com/best/2006/


Variety of good food at reasonable prices and always packed. Huge french toasts, different piza, hunge calzones,
I had made recipes like this. What really was good about this recipe in the wrapped tortilla was it added guacamole and sour cream to the eggs with hot sauce which gave it a different consistency. The fried potatoes with it were meager but okay. I got Black Mountain coffee blend which is smooth (the name coincidentally is the name for the little town I landed in North Carolina in 1973 to continue my tennis career). My son got the lox and egss which he likes. We shared the hummus which was chunkies then usual and also nicely came with thinly sliced yellow and red bell peppers, marinted artichokes and black olives.

I will have to try the Ranchero sauce on my own. I found from my book
Coyote Cafe by Mark Miller. We did not go to his place
Coyote Cafe when we were in New Mexico (another story in my blog about the meals I ate there in the future) but I like his book and am using it more and more. I really like the extra little stories and insights he tells about each recipe.

Ranchero Sauce From Coyote Cafe Ingredients
5 lb Roma tomatoes 2 tb Peanut oil, (or lard)
6 Serrano chiles 6 Poblano chiles, roasted,
2 c White onion, finely chopped 1 bn Cilantro, tied
2 tb Garlic, finely chopped 2 ts Salt
Instructions for Ranchero Sauce From Coyote Cafe
Lightly blacken tomatoes and serranos in a skillet or under a broiler (about 4 to 5 minutes). Chop together and set aside. Saute onion and garlic in the oil over low heat until soft but not brown (about 10 to 15 minutes). Combine all ingredients in a saucepan (reserving a few strips of poblano chiles for garnish). Cook partially covered over low heat for 20 to 30 minutes, adding water if necessary. Remove cilantro. Garnish with the reserved julienned poblanos. One of Millers favorite sauces, similar to one served at Capri in San Cristobal de las Casas, in southern Mexico It is a rustic-style sauce that traditionally is cooked in the morning and is used throughout the day. Ranchero Sauce goes with eggs, chicken, pork, tamales, and seafood. Mark Miller, Coyote Caf? Typos by Brenda Adams NOTES : Yield: 8 cups Recipe by: Mark Miller; Coyote Cafe Posted to EAT-L Digest 19 Mar 97 by lunchuck on Mar 19, 1997
.

No comments: