Welcome! to KCTG

I love to EAT, TRAVEL,COOK, always searching for foods, restaurants, recipes, a LEVEL ABOVE ordinary fare - SATORI (Japanese word for AHA!) foods . Find my recipes and those I find, restaurants reviews from all over, posted travels, highlights from interesting TV shows (Travel Channel, Food Channel etc).
SEND YOUR COMMENTS to me (Google, Open ID etc-see left side). Link to me as a friend and contact me about ideas, comments etc. Like my reviews? Please VOTE for me on Urbanspoon
and give me a KUDOs if you like my work. Thanks

Monday, September 21, 2009

Restaurant Finds: Sarpino's superb pies and more

Sarpinos on Urbanspoon

A Sarpino's flyer came in the mail. Initially I thought " oh no, another startup or chain pizza joint with lousy pizza." I almost threw it away but instead too a peak inside the massive menu. I am glad I did for a variety of reasons.

This chain (originated in few other states) is starting up in Kansas and trying to make its "mark" among all the pizza joints around. It is on Quivira in a small niche of store on the northern side of the strip mall with the Jayhawk bookstore. There is limited seating and as I waited for our pie to bake, there was a brisk takeout of many pies. But back to the offerings.

The menu is massive which really piqued my interest. Difficult to choose from Gourmet Pizzas (16); Wings and Sides; Specialty pizzas (11); Create your own pizzas with 37 toppings; Pasta (4); Salads (4); Calzones (9); Sandwiches (7). What made it even better we were enticed by the nice coupons on the flyer.

It was a touch choice. One or two toppings pizza don't make it for us most of the time and so we targeted the Gourmet and Specialty pizzas. I chose the Tuscany (red pepper, grilled chicken, tomatoes, artichoke hearts, garlic, green peppers, green olives and their scrumptious Sarpino's cheese. My wife ordered the Mediterranean with olive oil, zucchini, eggplant, sun dried tomatoes, parmesan cheese, garlic, cilantro,and the Sarpino's cheese.

When we got home, we dug in. Both were brimming with every bite of excellent flavor, The crust was on the thick side which is what we prefer. We both agreed both were excellent and would be back to try pizzas and parts of the menu. We also agreed this was some of the best pizza we have ever tasted (another favorite is Neopolitan Spin Pizza).

I believe Sarpino's has our vote and I believe will be grabbing a share of the pizza chain market. Pizza Hut and the other chains just don't stack up!

No comments: