Welcome! to KCTG

I love to EAT, TRAVEL,COOK, always searching for foods, restaurants, recipes, a LEVEL ABOVE ordinary fare - SATORI (Japanese word for AHA!) foods . Find my recipes and those I find, restaurants reviews from all over, posted travels, highlights from interesting TV shows (Travel Channel, Food Channel etc).
SEND YOUR COMMENTS to me (Google, Open ID etc-see left side). Link to me as a friend and contact me about ideas, comments etc. Like my reviews? Please VOTE for me on Urbanspoon
and give me a KUDOs if you like my work. Thanks

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Next Food Network star: Melissa d'Arabian's recipe finds

I tried out for the Next Food Network star TV series but did not make the cut. I'm too old, have not been to culinary school or one of another reasons. I've been on TV, in the newspaper, Bon Appetite magazine, on radio, for my recipes. I've had my (total eclipse) photo in Astronomy magazine and more of my exploits over the years, but also my teaching, traveling and science exploration in various parts of the world. I love to cook, eat, travel and try new and different recipes and more . I love looking for recipes all over, on TV, internet etc.

But in any case, I watch each year to see what happens and who wins and whether I disagree or agree with the final judgement.

Guy Fieri is a food rock star in so many way. I like his shows and his recipes. His personality is great too. This years contestants seems pretty good on the outside but upon inspection you could see that Melissa d'Arabian was the one to beat in so many ways. For her cooking expertise, her ability to roll with the punches, her presentations and outstanding showmanship and cooking amazing food (especially for semi final and final foods which were judged so far ahead of the semis and the final guy (who turned out to be such a joke).

But unlike the last few years, The Food Network judges disagreed and made poor choices knocking out the winner in the semis. She only got back because of fraudulent information by the one that judges wanted to go to the finals (I really don't know what the judges saw in him). That is why I did not have much faith in the judges.

I cheered and hope she would win because she was the best of the lot by far. It just happened that she did win. I mean it was not even close so maybe I have a little more faith in the judges this time. Or maybe it was just so clear cut it was the only decision. Who know. I'm just glad she won.

Her recipes are really a hit already judges upon all the comments and reviews by people going to her site on FN. I've made salmon cakes before but this one sounds even better because of the potato in it and other ingredients.

This one is a real different take off on salmon cakes. I have not made it yet but it sounds so good I just had to post it for you all. She has some other great recipes and as I try them and others, I will post them with my comments and ratings.

Until if you find good recipes that you like, log in as my friend and place your comments etc. Keep the posts positive or tell how you make the dish better. Found a good restaurant and dish , let me know too.

Salmon Cakes
Recipe courtesy Melissa d'Arabian

2 strips bacon, cooked until crispy, crumbled, bacon fat reserved
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 egg
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 lemon, zested
1 (14-ounce) can wild salmon, checked for large bones
1 baked or boiled russet potato, peeled, and fluffed with a fork
1/4 cup bread crumbs
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Heat 1 tablespoon of the reserved bacon fat in a small saute pan over low heat. Add the onions and cook until translucent. Cool the onions for a bit.

Mix the bacon, onion, egg, mayonnaise, mustard, sugar, and lemon zest in a bowl. Add the salmon and potato, mixing gently after each addition. Form the mixture into 12 small patties. In a shallow dish, combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan, and pepper, to taste. Coat the patties in the bread crumb topping. Heat 1/4 cup of the oil in a large saute pan over medium heat, and cook the salmon cakes in batches until golden, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Add more oil, as necessary. Arrange on a serving platter and serve.

Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Ease of preparation: easy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this recipe, I watched the show today and this sounded so good. I went to the fn site and guess what, no recipe for it. I took a chance on google and found it with your site. Thank you :)