Welcome! to KCTG

I love to EAT, TRAVEL,COOK, always searching for foods, restaurants, recipes, a LEVEL ABOVE ordinary fare - SATORI (Japanese word for AHA!) foods . Find my recipes and those I find, restaurants reviews from all over, posted travels, highlights from interesting TV shows (Travel Channel, Food Channel etc).
SEND YOUR COMMENTS to me (Google, Open ID etc-see left side). Link to me as a friend and contact me about ideas, comments etc. Like my reviews? Please VOTE for me on Urbanspoon
and give me a KUDOs if you like my work. Thanks

Monday, June 1, 2009

Recipe Finds: Gazpacho

My wife had left for Chicago for a couple of weeks to visit family. So while she is away, I don’t play. A stormchase did not pan out today so I watched the French Open, did some errands, worked on cleaning my office and also shopping for food for dinner.

My plan was to make the Spanish soup called gazpacho which we love. If I opened a restaurant, gazpacho, in some form, would be on the menu. The reasons is its fresh, flavorful and makes a good meal no matter what you do.

I have made several different ones. However I had seen one of Anne Burrel, an American chef and instructor at the Institute of Culinary Education in New York City, on her new TV show. But I recognized her first as Burrell is best known as one of Iron Chef Mario Batali's sous chefs in the American television spin-off series Iron Chef America.. Her wispy great spiked hair is unmistakable. The show is a little quirky but she has some very good recipes and she knows her stuff.

She made this recipe and it looked a good one to try.

I found out more about her.



Never tried gazpacho? Well I have several times but this I am always on the lookout for new gazpacho recipes. This one is perfect for anytime but particularly summer as it fresh, cool and goes with so many meals. This one was a good accompaniment for my steak and backed potato.

But I added a little twist to this recipe. I used crushed tomato instead of real tomatoes and did not use tomato juice. This made it more chunky which I like but you can make it less chunky. Also I added a Serrano pepper and several minced jalapeno peppers. I liked the little extra kick. ( Don't want the little heat, skip it!).

My rating 9.6/10

I discovered there are different kinds of gazpacho which I will try this summer. Another ones below is an unusual one from Michelle Bernstein, a noted Miami chef that has Latin over tones. I have to try this one this summer too. If you get it to first , let me know.

More of her recipes: http://www.foodnetwork.com/anne-burrell/recipes/index.html

Gazpacho

Recipe courtesy Anne Burrell
Ingredients

* 8 slices white bread, crusts removed, bread broken into big chunks
* 2 pounds tomatoes, seeded
* 1 English cucumber, peeled
* 1 large white onion
* 1 green bell pepper, seeds and pith removed
* 2 garlic cloves, smashed
* Kosher salt
* High quality extra-virgin olive oil
* 2 to 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
* 1/2 cup to 1 cup tomato juice, if needed

Directions

For the soup:

Soak the bread, in a medium bowl of water to soften, about 15 to 20 minutes. Squeeze out the excess water and place in a large bowl. Coarsely chop the tomatoes, 2/3 of the cucumber, 1/2 the onion, and 1/2 the pepper and add to the bread. Add the garlic, season with salt, and drizzle with olive oil. Mix to combine and let sit for about 20 to 30 minutes to allow the flavors to marry and to let the salt pull some moisture out of the tomatoes.

Meanwhile, for the garnish, dice the remaining cucumber, onion and green pepper into perfect 1/4-inch dice and reserve.

Working in batches, puree the tomato/bread mixture in a blender with the vinegar. Blend in tomato juice to loosen the mixture, if needed. Remove soup to a large bowl and stir in about 1/2 cup of high quality olive oil. Taste for salt and add more, if needed.

Chill. Serve cold garnished with the diced cucumber, pepper and onion. Drizzle with a little more olive oil, if desired.

How refreshing!

**
Bernstein's Almond, Grape and Cucumber Gazpacho
T h i s l i g h t s o u p f r o m C h e f M i c h e l l e B e r n s t e i n i s i d e a l o n a w a r m s u m m e r n i g h t a n d o n l y t a k e s m i n u t e s t o m a k e , a l l w i t h o u t u s i n g t h e s t o v e .

B y M i c h e l l e B e r n s t e i n
T e x t S i z e : A | A | A
S h a r e |
P r i n t
E m a i l

* D i g g
* R e d d i t
* D e l . i c i o . u s
* K a b o o d l e
* W h a t i s s h a r e ?

P h o t o C r e d i t I l l u s t r a t i o n b y M i c h a e l T o l a n d

M o r e f r o m D e l i s h

* M i c h e l l e B e r n s t e i n
* M i c h e l l e B e r n s t e i n ' s C r a b s w i t h F e t a , W a t e r m e l o n a n d A r u g u l a
* B o s t o n C h e f G a b r i e l B r e m e r ' s W h i t e G a z p a c h o
* H a z e l n u t T h y m e M a t c h s t i c k s
* G r e e n G a z p a c h o w i t h S h r i m p

R e c i p e c o u r t e s y o f C h e f M i c h e l l e B e r s t e i n .

I N G R E D I E N T S
1 Ω c u p S p a n i s h M a r c o n a a l m o n d s ( s a l t e d )
Ω t e a s p o o n f r e s h , p e e l e d g a r l i c
Ω t a b l e s p o o n p e e l e d s h a l l o t
2 c u p s c u c u m b e r s , ( E n g l i s h , i f a v a i l a b l e ) , p e e l e d a n d c h o p p e d
2 c u p s s e e d l e s s g r e e n g r a p e s
1 - t a b l e s p o o n f r e s h d i l l
1 Ω c u p s c o l d v e g e t a b l e b r o t h
Ω c u p e x c e l l e n t q u a l i t y e x t r a v i r g i n o l i v e o i l
1 - t a b l e s p o o n s h e r r y v i n e g a r
2 t a b l e s p o o n s d r y s h e r r y w i n e
S a l t a n d B l a c k p e p p e r , t o t a s t e

P R E P A R A T I O N

1 . I n a b l e n d e r , a d d t h e a l m o n d s , g a r l i c , s h a l l o t , c u c u m b e r , g r a p e s , d i l l a n d b r o t h a n d p u r e e u n t i l v e r y s m o o t h .

2 . W h i l e b l e n d e r i s r u n n i n g , a d d t h e v i n e g a r , s h e r r y w i n e , a n d d r i z z l e i n t h e o l i v e o i l .

3 . P l a c e f i n i s h e d s o u p i n t h e c o o l e r u n t i l c h i l l e d .

4 . S e r v e w i t h a g a r n i s h o f s l i c e d g r a p e s , c r u s h e d a l m o n d s a n d d i l l .

No comments: