Welcome! to KCTG

I love to EAT, TRAVEL,COOK, always searching for foods, restaurants, recipes, a LEVEL ABOVE ordinary fare - SATORI (Japanese word for AHA!) foods . Find my recipes and those I find, restaurants reviews from all over, posted travels, highlights from interesting TV shows (Travel Channel, Food Channel etc).
SEND YOUR COMMENTS to me (Google, Open ID etc-see left side). Link to me as a friend and contact me about ideas, comments etc. Like my reviews? Please VOTE for me on Urbanspoon
and give me a KUDOs if you like my work. Thanks

Saturday, February 7, 2009

POrtland's Habanero Fritters

I had the opportunity to work in around Portland during two weeks in 1988 while working at a geology workshop. Outside of Portland, I found Mt. St. Helens. I was only one of a few teachers that actually had the chance to walk inside the crater (after it exploded BTW) and videotaped and photographed.
The meals at the restaurants, the river walk were really good (if I can remember some I will post).
Recently on Man vs Food, a new entertaining travel channel show, Adam takes on the habanero fritter.
http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tvlistings/ZCProgram.do?t=Man-v.-Food&pgmId=EP011048120013

This features super Salvador Malleys spicy habanero fritters
the challenge was to eat
5 fitters plus salsa with have 10 lbs of habanero in them (I can't believe this)

I found a recipe however that I might find= enjoy

Spicy Pineapple Fritters

By: ~Rita~
Mar 17, 2006
These are savory fritters filled with pineapples, habanaro, chives, garlic, turmeric and are very addictive. Serve as an appetizer, top some grilled meats, seafood or a side to a salad. Diced red pepper mix along the pineapple would be very good in this as well.
SERVES 6 (change servings and units)

Ingredients
• 1 habanero, minced (use with or without seeds up to what you can handle or any chili)
• 1 tablespoon diced fresh chives
• 1 scallion, sliced
• 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
• 3 sage leaves, minced
• 1 cup flour
• 1/2 cup milk
• 2 eggs
• salt and pepper
• 2 cups chopped fresh pineapple
• oil, for frying
Directions
1. 1
Blend first 9 ingredients in a blender and blend till smooth and well mixed.
2. 2
Place in a bowl and add pineapple chunks. Stir to coat.
3. 3
In a heavy pan heat a couple inches of oil. Oil will be ready when you drop a bit of batter in and it drops to bottom sizzles and rises to surface. At this point drop by spoonfuls and fry till browned taking a couple minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels.
4. 4
Season with salt and garnish chives.
5. 5
Good served hot, great room temperature and even better cold.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The man vs food episode did say there were 10 pounds of habaneros in one batch. They did not say how many fritters one batch would make. My guess is way more than five.