Welcome! to KCTG

I love to EAT, TRAVEL,COOK, always searching for foods, restaurants, recipes, a LEVEL ABOVE ordinary fare - SATORI (Japanese word for AHA!) foods . Find my recipes and those I find, restaurants reviews from all over, posted travels, highlights from interesting TV shows (Travel Channel, Food Channel etc).
SEND YOUR COMMENTS to me (Google, Open ID etc-see left side). Link to me as a friend and contact me about ideas, comments etc. Like my reviews? Please VOTE for me on Urbanspoon
and give me a KUDOs if you like my work. Thanks

Thursday, February 19, 2009

It is Chimichurri time

I love the simple but spicy Argentinan Chimichurri sauces. I always thought they were the same using green parsely and more. However through the last year, I have come to know that there are different kinds, all good, but difffrerent.

I already found three recipes (see below) including one listed from Chili Pepper Magazine. I like this magazine and have been reading it for years. Actually I started reading them at the stores and copying a few recipes I liked. I then thought I need to get this magazine and try more of the great recipes I had not tried an issue yet . Looking in this issue, I found a very different Chimichurri using red peppers and some of the ingredients in this recipes. I would try this fusion recipe.

Mixed Pepper merican Aregntina with Asia. What I created was an Asian style Red Pepper (3/2009 Chili Pepper, p. 34). The recipe has roasted red pepper, hot peppers ( I used some hot pepper sauce), red wine vinegar, parsley, shallots (I used red onion a substitute that I usually use as it is handy), tomatos, lemon juice , smoked paprika, and oil ( if you need the exact recipe, let me know and I will post it (I don’t have time now to write it out.,

I throught to mix South American Aregntina with Asia and beef. What I created was an Asian style Red Pepper Chimichurri Beef with noodles. I added a little garlic salt to round things outl.

It came out okay. But I guess I am used to the all green style Chimichurri sauces. The red pepper threw off the taste a bit. I prefer to go GREEN. I rated it 8.0/10.

If you feel that way try some of these below.


**

Categories
Salsa/sauce
Vegetables
So. america
Yield
1 -1/2 cups

Measure Ingredient
1⁄4 cup Olive oil
1 cup Red wine vinegar
2 tablespoon Aji chile powder, -OR- substitute New Mexican red chile powder
4 clove Garlic; minced
1 teaspoon Crushed black pepper-corns
1 teaspoon Dried oregano
1 each Bay leaf; crushed
1⁄4 cup Minced parsley (or substitute Italian parsley)
Salt to taste

Combine the olive oil and vinegar in a bowl and beat with a whisk. Stir in the remaining ingredients, mix thoroughly, and allow to sit for 2 hours to blend the flavors. Serve with broiled, roasted or grilled meat and poultry. Authors' Heat Scale: Medium _Hot and Spicy Latin Dishes_ from Chili Pepper Magazine Dave DeWitt, Mary Jane Wilson, Melissa T. Stock Prima Publishing, 1995 ISBN 1-55958-484-X Typos by Jeff Pruett Submitted By JEFF PRUETT On 08-15-95

***
(Argentine parsley-garlic sauce for grilled meats)

This pungent herb sauce originated in Argentina. Chimichurri is the classic accompaniment to Argentine churassco, or grilled meats. You can also use chimichurri as a marinade.
Makes about 1 1/2 cups

* Parsley, chopped -- 1 bunch
* Garlic, crushed -- 8 cloves
* Oregano -- 1 teaspoon
* Paprika (optional) -- 2 tablespoons
* Cayenne pepper -- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon
* Salt -- 1-2 teaspoons
* Red wine vinegar -- 1/3 cup
* Olive oil -- 3/4 cup
**
Recipe courtesy Guy Fieri, 2008
See this recipe on air Friday Aug. 29 at 3:00 PM ET/PT.
Show: Guys Big Bite
Episode: South of the Border
For the steak:
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon freshly chopped cilantro leaves
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons tequila
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
1 1/2 pound skirt steak, trimmed

For the 4-Herb chimichurri:
2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro leaves
2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley leaves
1 tablespoon freshly chopped basil leaves
1 tablespoons freshly chopped oregano leaves
2 tablespoons minced white onion
2 tablespoons diced red bell pepper
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon freshly cracked black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon pasilla peppers, dried
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

For the steak

Combine all ingredients, and let steak marinate, refrigerated, for 1 to 3 hours.

Heat grill or pan to high heat, cook skirt steak to medium-rare, let sit for 5 to 10 minutes, then cut on bias in 1/4 inch pieces, and top with chimichuri sauce.

4-herb chimichurri:

Mix all ingredients lightly in food processor until a coarse sauce is formed. Set aside for 2 hours.

No comments: