Welcome! to KCTG

I love to EAT, TRAVEL,COOK, always searching for foods, restaurants, recipes, a LEVEL ABOVE ordinary fare - SATORI (Japanese word for AHA!) foods . Find my recipes and those I find, restaurants reviews from all over, posted travels, highlights from interesting TV shows (Travel Channel, Food Channel etc).
SEND YOUR COMMENTS to me (Google, Open ID etc-see left side). Link to me as a friend and contact me about ideas, comments etc. Like my reviews? Please VOTE for me on Urbanspoon
and give me a KUDOs if you like my work. Thanks

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Bates-City-Bar-B-Que-Shawnee, KS I heard it was good

Bates City Bar-B-Que on UrbanspoonI had heard from several sources that this BBQ place in Missouri was rated one of the best if not the best. I had to check it out. When I found that there was another one in close by Shawnee, KS, I took a trip while on the way to a meeting. It is easy to find and has a good sized area for sitting. The staff is personable. Burnt ends were the choice for my wife and I wanted the brisket and burnt ends plate. It was difficult to make up my mind between the plates, sandwiches , and dinners. I should have looked at the ( take out ) menu first which explained a little better what each entree delivers. I chose the burnt ends and brisket combination platter ,as I love both and wanted to compare these to the ones I have judged on the BBQ circuit ( I am a certified KCBS BBQ judge) and restaurants. About 1/3 of the styrofoam box was meat and the rest was an enourmous amount of crispy addictive long fries. So there was a good amount of meat enough to make sub sandwich and have more left over for later. The meats were both smokey and had lots of flavor. The burnt ends were meaty and chunky and while good the meat was not that moist. Their sauce had a smokey,molasses and slightly tangy flavor and was good and thick. The coleslaw was very unremarkable being shredded green cabbage with mild sweet flavor. The baked beans had a tomato signature but little else. Next time I would try the turkey and skip the sides and the fries. The meats are definitely the best here and the sauce is pretty good addition. Glad I came and found out what it is all about. Not my best BBQ place but in my top 10. Definitely worth another visit in the future.

1 comment:

The DLC said...

I totally agree that the sides are not the strong suit here. Most of the meats are solid though.