Welcome! to KCTG

I love to EAT, TRAVEL,COOK, always searching for foods, restaurants, recipes, a LEVEL ABOVE ordinary fare - SATORI (Japanese word for AHA!) foods . Find my recipes and those I find, restaurants reviews from all over, posted travels, highlights from interesting TV shows (Travel Channel, Food Channel etc).
SEND YOUR COMMENTS to me (Google, Open ID etc-see left side). Link to me as a friend and contact me about ideas, comments etc. Like my reviews? Please VOTE for me on Urbanspoon
and give me a KUDOs if you like my work. Thanks

Friday, December 12, 2008

Turkey Cholent Crockpot

When it comes to cold, winter weather, this Jewish type hearty stew is really good . This is a version I just made up but you can use any kind of poultry, lamb, turkey, beef etc.

Turkey Cholent Crockpot
by Eric Flescher
Kansas City Traveling Gourmet
http://cpmputergourmet.blogspot.com/

Turkey wings, pieces of turkey, turkey thighs (you can also use chicken, beef flanken etc)
1 onion, chopped fine
2 tablespoons oil
1 tbls Hungarian / Spanish or hot Paprika
1/2 cup medium barley ( is used Quick Barley from Quaker but you can use other)
15 bean prepackaged soup ( I used Hurst's but not the package flavoring that came in a little package)
5 or 6 beef marrow or neck bones
2 cloves garlic, chopped fine or put through a press cold water
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground

1. Get crockpot or pan.
2. Rinse barley in a sieve under cold running water, until water runs clear. Pick over beans and rinse thoroughly.
3. Brown meat and onions in oil in wok, pan or crockpot.
4. Add barley, beans, turkey bones and garlic to meat and onions in the saucepan. Add enough to cover, and bring to a boil over high heat or if use crockpot let it simmer on low for overnight while covered. Season with salt and pepper.
5.A few hours before serving, check the cholent. If it's too dry, add some water. If it's too moist, uncover and leave it in the oven to dry.
6. Spoon into dishes or plate, add meat, Dash some exgtra salt or spices as needed or wanted and enjoy.

No comments: