Welcome! to KCTG

I love to EAT, TRAVEL,COOK, always searching for foods, restaurants, recipes, a LEVEL ABOVE ordinary fare - SATORI (Japanese word for AHA!) foods . Find my recipes and those I find, restaurants reviews from all over, posted travels, highlights from interesting TV shows (Travel Channel, Food Channel etc).
SEND YOUR COMMENTS to me (Google, Open ID etc-see left side). Link to me as a friend and contact me about ideas, comments etc. Like my reviews? Please VOTE for me on Urbanspoon
and give me a KUDOs if you like my work. Thanks

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Latkes (potato pankes ) you say? try zucchini ones that are baked

Most people know about potato fritter/ latkes. But the sweet potato ones are really different. I had already tried the sweet potato baked ones which were awesome. However I wanted to try the zucchini ones that I did a few years ago to compare them. I also wanted to bake them not frying them to cut down the calories and the frying. First I found one from the Food Network. ut I wanted a pure one without potato in it. The next one was more what I wanted. For the matzo meal, substitute panko or bread crumbs. You can also add a finely chopped onions.
**

Zucchini Latkes
Recipe courtesy Esther Weiner
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/calling-all-cooks/zucchini-latkes-recipe/index.html
Ingredients

* 4 cups zucchini, grated
* 1 medium white potato, grated
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 3 eggs
* 3 tablespoons flour
* 2 tablespoons seasoned bread crumbs
* Pepper, to taste
* Garlic powder, to taste
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 3 tablespoons vegetable oil

Directions

Mix together the zucchini, potato and onion. Whisk the eggs together and add to the vegetable/potato mixture. Mix together the flour, bread crumbs, pepper, garlic powder and salt and combine with the egg/vegetable mixture. Heat large nonstick frying pan with 3 tablespoons vegetable oil. Drop batter by spoonfuls into hot oil and fry until crisp, turning to fry on the other side.


**

Zucchini Latkes
Recipe #14724 | 30 min | 20 min prep | add private note
http://www.recipezaar.com/Zucchini-Latkes-14724

By: Mirj
Nov 25, 2001
Ingredients

* 1 lb zucchini
* salt
* 2 eggs
* 1 teaspoon sugar
* 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/4 cup matzo meal (substitute panko or bread crumbs)
* oil

Directions

1.
1
Wash zucchini and cut off ends, but do not peel.
2.
2
Grate zucchini into a bowl, sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and set aside for 10 minutes.
3.
3
Drain or squeeze out the liquid.
4.
4
In a large bowl: Mix zucchini, eggs, sugar, baking powder, matzoh meal and 1 Tablespoon oil and blend well.
5.
5
Add salt to taste.
6.
6
Heat oil in skillet: Drop zucchini mixture by Tablespoonfuls into pan.
7.
7
Brown on both sides.
8.
8
Serve with applesauce, if desired.

No comments: