Welcome! to KCTG

I love to EAT, TRAVEL,COOK, always searching for foods, restaurants, recipes, a LEVEL ABOVE ordinary fare - SATORI (Japanese word for AHA!) foods . Find my recipes and those I find, restaurants reviews from all over, posted travels, highlights from interesting TV shows (Travel Channel, Food Channel etc).
SEND YOUR COMMENTS to me (Google, Open ID etc-see left side). Link to me as a friend and contact me about ideas, comments etc. Like my reviews? Please VOTE for me on Urbanspoon
and give me a KUDOs if you like my work. Thanks

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Iron Chef Sturgeon and Elk battles

Today it was the Surgeon battle between Iron Chef Michael Symon and David Adjay from Toronto, whom I see on Restaurant Makeover show (which I have grown to like) on Food Network.

2 new judges that I have not seen along with the tried and true one who judges for Top Chef made it a difficult. There was a lot of sparring concerning the recipes, the fish, the tastes , the plating etc etc. I still thought the Iron Chef would win by +6. One judge did not like the plank with one recipe, couple had too much in the mix of the entrees with the sturgeon but still I thought Flay's had a little flair which is why I gave him the edge.

However when the chairman they have deliverated long and hard , I shouted "its a tie " and it was! Symon was up by 5 with the taste but suffered from -3 on plating and -2 on originally (which I found puzzling as I thought the Symon has more originality- the judges however had said that they did not find that the sturgeon was original to the dishes).

So I misjudged that too late.

Meanwhile earlier two chefs from Dallas, took on Bobby Flay in Battle Elk. I had Elk steak earlier this year at Jumping Catfish in Olathe, KS and it was very good. One recipe had habenaro mole (?) A Chipotle mollasses sauce with elk seemed interesting.

It was tough with all judges liking most of the dishes. I thought Flay would win by +4 but he LOST by 4. So I was 8 off. I am usually within 3 and on the side of the winner .

Better luck next time?

No comments: