Welcome! to KCTG

I love to EAT, TRAVEL,COOK, always searching for foods, restaurants, recipes, a LEVEL ABOVE ordinary fare - SATORI (Japanese word for AHA!) foods . Find my recipes and those I find, restaurants reviews from all over, posted travels, highlights from interesting TV shows (Travel Channel, Food Channel etc).
SEND YOUR COMMENTS to me (Google, Open ID etc-see left side). Link to me as a friend and contact me about ideas, comments etc. Like my reviews? Please VOTE for me on Urbanspoon
and give me a KUDOs if you like my work. Thanks

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Wood fired pizzas are all the rage in Kansas: Rhode Island helped make them a signature entree all over

Wood Fired Pizzas
I first learned about wood burning fired pizza AL Forno's in Providence, where I grew up and where these fire pies started and became the rage in the US.
www.alforno.com
The couple chef team Johanne Killeen and George Germon, also opened Lucky's, which is a less expensive, less upscale but still fantastic restaurant with Italian fare as well. Here is a run down of how they got started and developed their gourmet concepts and more.

http://www.providencephoenix.com/archive/features/00/03/23/ALFORNO.html

When I ate at Al Fornos many years ago, as far as I remember, we did not eat pizza. All I remember was the fiery hot harissa orangey condiment, one of the hotest and spicest I have ever eaten.

I found many reviews of this place at
http://www.yelp.com/biz/al-forno-restaurant-providence

In some of the reviews I learned about the chefs cookbook which featured many of their own Italian creations and not the "run of the mill" Italian fare found all over. Now that's right up my alley as I am not really up for Italian most of the time except when we go to (to my liking Cenzetti's in OVerland Park, KS) which is an all you can eat buffet with all of the best Italian fare in one place with quality.

http://www.amazon.com/Top-Spaghetti-Macaroni-Linguine-Penne/dp/0060598735

I posted my take on reviews for this book

http://www.amazon.com/review/RQNORKKJWJHO5/ref=cm_cr_rev_detup_redir?%5Fencoding=UTF8&cdPage=1&newContentID=MxJ36TPO2P7DED#Mx1LO3AXOM0VL8L

Your post, in reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2008 7:46 AM PDT
Eric Flescher says:
I originally come from Providence (now live in Kansas) and have eaten at Al Forno's in the past. I have watched the Food Channel and also the name of shows and recipes that include their name and feel a little proud of that even though I have eaten there once. They must being doing something right to start/ elevate this wood fired pizza trend all over , from Providence. I also saw on Yelp a review that included this book so I looked it up because it seemed to tell that the book less then your average Pizza recipe fare which is what I always look for. I also look for the reviews to find substance, ideas and whether I should buy the book. Some have dissed the major reviewer (Mr. Marold) in this thread, whom I do not know. I agree that unless you tell which of the recipes you have actually tried in the book (as I do and place on my blog) then you are not doing the review justice. In reviewing my dozens of cookbooks for my blog, I always include which recipes I have tried ,with my ratings). I feel that this gives authenticity to my reviews (good, bad or indifferent) , recipes, my take on the recipes and the book itself. I also do the same for my technology hardware, software and book reviews because you have to know the "insides" of the book and try them. So I am glad others have chimed in. I will try and get the book soon and try some of the recipes myself. Thanks very much for posting this thread and review and comments

Meanwhile this place has a review in the Kansas City Star 8/21/2008 and received a 3/4 rating.
The Blue Grotto is a new wood fired pizza place
http://www.pitch.com/locations/blue-grotto-679683/

On of their recipe salads includes ( I don't have the quantities)

whole leaf romaine
straw cut apples
red onions
blue cheese crumbles
candied nuts

I found a good recipe for the
lemon vinaigrette

Bon Appétit | December 1998

Servings: Makes about 3/4 cup.
subscribe to Bon Appétit
Ingredients
1/2 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon minced shallot
1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1/2 teaspoon sugar
Preparation
Whisk all ingredients in bowl to blend. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Chill. Bring to room temperature before using.)

No comments: