Welcome! to KCTG

I love to EAT, TRAVEL,COOK, always searching for foods, restaurants, recipes, a LEVEL ABOVE ordinary fare - SATORI (Japanese word for AHA!) foods . Find my recipes and those I find, restaurants reviews from all over, posted travels, highlights from interesting TV shows (Travel Channel, Food Channel etc).
SEND YOUR COMMENTS to me (Google, Open ID etc-see left side). Link to me as a friend and contact me about ideas, comments etc. Like my reviews? Please VOTE for me on Urbanspoon
and give me a KUDOs if you like my work. Thanks

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Janos and T Bar in Tucson great restaurants and innovative James Beard chef

Janos on UrbanspoonHands down one of the most memorable meals I have had was 2007 at the J Bar, the second one after the famous Janos. The chef, who married French and Soutwest cuisine, is Chef Janos Wilder. a James Beard award winner of 1990.
http://www.janos.com/
While the current menu did not have the pecan crusted chicken (possibly summer dish) or the lamb appetizer.
http://www.janos.com/janos/mainmenu.php
In this dessert part of the menu is the truly excellent one I tried, Jalapeno Chocolate Sundae
http://www.janos.com/janos/dessertmenu.php

I found he has recipes at
http://www.janos.com/janos/recipes.php

This one sounded good that I will try

Basil Madeira Chicken with Portobello Mushrooms
This elegant dish is great for a family dinner but would be equally appropriate for entertaining. The chicken breasts are pan-seared then the sauce is made in the same pan making this dish as easy to prepare as it is delicious.

Ingredients
Yield: 4 Servings

boneless chicken breasts, skin and all fat removed
yellow onion sliced julienne
1 lb - portobello mushrooms sliced
1 T - fresh crushed garlic
1 T - whole grain mustard
8 oz - Madeira
2 C - defatted, reduced-sodium chicken stock
2 - tomatoes, seeds removed and diced
1 C - fresh chopped basil leaves
2 T - olive oil
Instructions

1. Saute the onions until well browned.
2. Flame with brandy.
3. Cover with veal stock and red wine.
4. Cover and braise until soft but not mushy. About 1/2 hour.

back to recipes

No comments: