Welcome! to KCTG

I love to EAT, TRAVEL,COOK, always searching for foods, restaurants, recipes, a LEVEL ABOVE ordinary fare - SATORI (Japanese word for AHA!) foods . Find my recipes and those I find, restaurants reviews from all over, posted travels, highlights from interesting TV shows (Travel Channel, Food Channel etc).
SEND YOUR COMMENTS to me (Google, Open ID etc-see left side). Link to me as a friend and contact me about ideas, comments etc. Like my reviews? Please VOTE for me on Urbanspoon
and give me a KUDOs if you like my work. Thanks

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Book review: Thai - the essence of Asian cooking


I love Thai. So many people think they can't eat Thai food as it is too spicy. That is not true. There are many less spicy dishes and you can always tone down the heat, spices, chiles etc. Plus a lot are sweet and spicy. You have not tried Asian food until you get away from the same old Chinese recipes you always cook or the restaurants you frequent. If you are looking for a Thai book this one is not bad to try. The recipes are not difficult and you can get most of the ingredients from Asian stores but sometimes in your local food stores. The photos (preparation, food , results, techniques) are spectacular. There is a nice forward section with photos of the history , thai cuisine in general and differences from the regions. Traditional meals, holiday meals and information are also covered so you also getting a geographic and history as well as a food tour. What I like is there a little paragraph which tell about the background for the recipe. I have not tried many recipes from this book yet but the steamed fish (with Lemongrass and chilies) was pretty good (9.6/10). There are quite a few to try like appetizers, vegetable, fish , beef , , soups , side dishes and food shopping. There are a lot of Thai books but this one gives you a tour on the side and more. Take a look and see what you think and try Thai!

No comments: