Welcome! to KCTG

I love to EAT, TRAVEL,COOK, always searching for foods, restaurants, recipes, a LEVEL ABOVE ordinary fare - SATORI (Japanese word for AHA!) foods . Find my recipes and those I find, restaurants reviews from all over, posted travels, highlights from interesting TV shows (Travel Channel, Food Channel etc).
SEND YOUR COMMENTS to me (Google, Open ID etc-see left side). Link to me as a friend and contact me about ideas, comments etc. Like my reviews? Please VOTE for me on Urbanspoon
and give me a KUDOs if you like my work. Thanks

Monday, May 19, 2008

Song Son Vietnames restaurant Kansas City review

I had heard about this place. But when I heard that this place had opened a new buffet and noodle bar for lunch, I had to go and check it out. I had heard that the Vietnamese food was bland. It was especially at recent place I tried in Kansas City but to my delight, not at this place. I had tried Vietnamese food in other parts of the country and I knew Vietnamese food was better then this bland restaurant before. But here at this new buffet and noodle bar, you can see immediately the character and what Vietnamese food really tastes like.
When I entered, I chose 1 of 11 different noodle type soups, made to order by one of the cooks ( noodles with either tofu, beef and others). While that was being prepared fresh, I sampled the buffet area.
The dishes were not really spicy but well seasoned. The best was the slightly spicy sweet tomato tofu. The spicy yellow curry chicken was excellent and was thick and spicy sweet not spicy hot and was very good. The beef stew in a nice brown broth and vegetables was excellent too and had a lot of flavor. The non fried spring rolls had a lot of vegetables and was very good in the hot sour sauce or the peanut like sauce. The crab rangoon was okay and the Goi Ga chicken salad was bland. The chinese General t'sao was surprisingly good , not too sweet, moist and not burnt to a crisp. Hunan chicken and the Moo Go Gai Pan chicken were better then I had expected. One of the premier ones I heard of the tempura like sweet potatoes were mushy and not very good.But it was the noodle soup I wanted to find out about. I ordered the meatball version s I heard about it. It came with vermicelli, vegetables and jalapeno strips in a clear tasty broth. The beef ball was actually cut into little strips. It was little chewy and did not have much flavor. The owner and staff were very cordial. I definitely will come back with my wife and my son is interested too.

No comments: