Welcome! to KCTG

I love to EAT, TRAVEL,COOK, always searching for foods, restaurants, recipes, a LEVEL ABOVE ordinary fare - SATORI (Japanese word for AHA!) foods . Find my recipes and those I find, restaurants reviews from all over, posted travels, highlights from interesting TV shows (Travel Channel, Food Channel etc).
SEND YOUR COMMENTS to me (Google, Open ID etc-see left side). Link to me as a friend and contact me about ideas, comments etc. Like my reviews? Please VOTE for me on Urbanspoon
and give me a KUDOs if you like my work. Thanks

Friday, March 20, 2009

Tangy Tkemali sauce Georgia's famsour plum condiment

I strolled into a Russian Food shop on Hope Street in Providence, RI a few days ago and found several interesting condiment on the shelf.

The Pomegranate sauce seemed fine but I was looking for something unique, a food/ sauce or condiment that I had not tried belong . For one its not only its colors but the ingredients. Plus the bottle also said that this is a national dish/ condiment was a national treasure sauce and is the universal condiment in Georgia which used to be part of the Soviet Union (where I was in 1989- more on blog and Russian food later in blog).

There were different colors however which one to select.? The main ingredients is sour plum and the other ingredient/spices made some of the bottle either yellow or green. I bought the green one as it looked so pretty with its unusual foliage green color.

Here is more about this tasty condiment
While it tangy taste was almost lemony the taste came from plums.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tkemali

Could I find a recipe to make my own, like I usually try to do. Well yes I could.
Want to make your own? here is a recipe from a website (there are also a number of other very interesting recipes at the rignt side of the website
http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Georgian%20plum%20sauce%20(tkemali)

http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Georgian%20plum%20sauce%20(tkemali)


Ge o r g i a n p l u m s a u c e ( t k e m a l i )


M e a s u r e I n g r e d i e n t
1 p o u n d s P l u m s ; ( n o t t o o r i p e )
2 t a b l e s p o o n s F r e s h l e m o n j u i c e ; o r m o r e , t o t a s t e
2 t a b l e s p o o n s O l i v e o i l
1 t e a s p o o n R e d w i n e v i n e g a r ; o r m o r e , t o t a s t e
3 C l o v e s g a r l i c ; m i n c e d
1 t e a s p o o n G r o u n d c o r i a n d e r
1 t e a s p o o n S a l t ; o r m o r e , t o t a s t e
1 t e a s p o o n H o t p e p p e r f l a k e s
1 t e a s p o o n B l a c k p e p p e r
1 t e a s p o o n G r o u n d c u m i n
2 t a b l e s p o o n s F i n e l y c h o p p e d c i l a n t r o
2 t a b l e s p o o n s F i n e l y c h o p p e d f r e s h d i l l
1 t e a s p o o n S u g a r ; i f d e s i r e d .

N Y T i m e s h a d 4 b b q s a u c e r e c i p e s f r o m v a r i o u s p l a c e s a r o u n d t h e w o r l d - - F r e n c h W e s t I n d i e s , S p a i n , G e o r g i a ( t h e o n e n e a r R u s s i a ) , a n d V i e t N a m .
T h e f u l l a r t i c l e i s i n t e r e s t i n g - - i t ' s the J u n e 2 n d e d i t i o n , p a g e 1 1 o f s e c t i o n F .
H e r e a r e t h e r e c i p e s :
T i m e : 2 0 m i n u t e s
1 . C o o k p l u m s i n b o i l i n g w a t e r t o c o v e r f o r 3 0 s e c o n d s .
D r a i n i n a c o l a n d e r , r i n s i n g w i t h c o l d w a t e r .
P u l l o f f s k i n s . R e m o v e s t o n e s .
2 . C o m b i n e p l u m s , 1 c u p w a t e r , l e m o n j u i c e , o l i v e o i l , v i n e g a r , g a r l i c , c o r i a n d e r , s a l t , p e p p e r f l a k e s , b l a c k p e p p e r a n d c u m i n i n a s a u c e
p a n . S i m m e r u n t i l p l u m s a r e v e r y s o f t , 5 m i n u t e s . P u r e e m i x t u r e i n a f o o d p r o c e s s o r . R e t u r n i t t o s a u c e p a n , a n d s t i r i n t h e c i l a n t r o a n d d i l l .
3 . S i m m e r s a u c e u n t i l t h i c k a n d f l a v o r f u l , a b o u t 5 m i n u t e s . I f d e s i r e d , a d d s a l t , l e m o n j u i c e o r v i n e g a r t o t a s t e . I f t o o t a r t , a d d s u g a r . S e r v e a t r o o m t e m p e r a t u r e . Y i e l d : 2 c u p s . ( P o s t e d t o b b q - d i g e s t b y " L o r e n D . M e n d e l s o h n " <> o n J u n 0 3 , 1 9 9 9 , c o n v e r t e d b y M M _ B u s t e r v 2 . 0 l ).

No comments: