Welcome! to KCTG

I love to EAT, TRAVEL,COOK, always searching for foods, restaurants, recipes, a LEVEL ABOVE ordinary fare - SATORI (Japanese word for AHA!) foods . Find my recipes and those I find, restaurants reviews from all over, posted travels, highlights from interesting TV shows (Travel Channel, Food Channel etc).
SEND YOUR COMMENTS to me (Google, Open ID etc-see left side). Link to me as a friend and contact me about ideas, comments etc. Like my reviews? Please VOTE for me on Urbanspoon
and give me a KUDOs if you like my work. Thanks

Monday, September 15, 2008

You be the judge: Cheddar Scalloped Sweet Potatoes

I scour the Food Network for interesting recipes . When I see one I want to try I see if there are any review that people have left regarding whether it was good or bad. This recipe is had the most yeyyys or neysss that I have ever seen. Most are either great or say the recipe is terrible. The comments are really intersting too. You be the judge and let me know if you try it and I will let you know what I think.
Supposedly it might be better to use less half and half

Cheddar Scalloped Sweet Potatoes
From Food Network Kitchens
Show: How To Boil Water
Episode: Mid-week Know How
3 large sweet potatoes
2 to 3 cups half-and-half
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
Salt and pepper
1 1/2 cups grated sharp Cheddar
1 to 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into bits, plus extra for dish

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Peel potatoes and cut diagonally into 1/4-inch thick slices.

In a saucepan combine 3 cups of the half-and-half, garlic, freshly grated nutmeg and salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil over moderate heat.

Butter a 1 1/2 quart oval gratin dish, layer potatoes and cheese (reserving 1/4 cup of the cheese for the topping) and pour the cream mixture over the potatoes. Sprinkle the top of the gratin with the reserved cheese and dot with the butter. Transfer the gratin to the oven and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until bubbling and golden. Remove from the oven and let it rest for 5 minutes before serving.

Good but could be better
12/17/2006 at 10:15am
User: Melissa from Mingoville, PA User Rating: [3 stars]
3 cups 1/2 and 1/2 was too much, next time I'll back off to 2 cups - not all liquid fit into my casserole dish plus it was too liquidy even after sitting for 5-10 minutes before serving. While the flavor was good, it was VERY mild. I'll try to experiment in ways to ramp up with flavor of the sweet potato....perhaps add a little brown sugar and slightly less cheese?



Wonderful!
11/26/2005 at 08:34pm
User: Rhonda from Midland, TX User Rating: [5 stars]
It was great. My husband loves sweet potatoes and this will now be a traditional holiday favorite of his.



a nice change on a regular scalloped potatoes
11/25/2005 at 01:38am
User: Ava from south san francisco, CA User Rating: [5 stars]
this scalloped sweet potato recipe was a nice change for the regular scalloped potatoes that my aunt laura makes. some of my family members love it but not all of them. thank Ty TY



Bad, Really Bad
11/05/2005 at 01:22pm
User: MEECHI from Lindenhurst, IL User Rating: [1 star]
I should have read the reviews first. This wasn't worth the time or money. It wasn't creamy like they said it would be on the show. I threw mine away too. What a waste.



Very Disappointing
10/24/2005 at 11:51am
User: Robin from Stony Point, NY User Rating: [1 star]
My husband and I really enjoyed watching this episode. The sweet potato dish looked sooo yummy, but what a big disappointment. The 1/2 & 1/2 currdled and looked so gross, and the sweet potatoes were far from sweet. The kids were not to happy that we ruined their usually yummy sweet potatoes. No wonder why they didn't spoon some of this dish onto their plates!



sucks
10/21/2005 at 03:30pm
User: Anonymous User Rating: [1 star]
This recipe sucks. I made it last night for my daughter and after the first bite we had to throw it all away.



Curdled Cream
10/20/2005 at 07:24pm
User: Anonymous User Rating: [2 stars]
This is a very tasty dish, however the cream curdled while baking. We got past the cottage cheese look and enjoyed it anyway. Glad I wasn't serving this to guests. Next time I will use milk,flour, and butter, like Mom used to do.



sounded better than it was
10/17/2005 at 09:00pm
User: Dena from ST PETERS, MO User Rating: [2 stars]
I followed the recipe to the letter. The half and half curtled in the casserole and it lacked flavor.



Horrible recipe
10/16/2005 at 09:17pm
User: kirsten from ponte vedra, FL User Rating: [1 star]
This was the worst recipe that I have ever made and I was sooo disappointed in it. Tyler made it look so easy even though I was hesitant about the cooking time and my instincts were right. I even cut the liquid in half and it was still a runny curdled mess. Definitely not up to Tyler's normal standards. I wish that I had read the reviews ahead of time!!



Think about it....
10/16/2005 at 11:07am
User: James from Alexandria Twp., NJ User Rating: [4 stars]
I just saw the show and then read the scathing reviews. I'm going to bet there is a mistake with the printed recipe. Based upon other scalloped potato recipes, this probably should have said "2/3 cup of half-and-half". I'll let you know.



So Good!
10/13/2005 at 12:25am
User: KAREN from Lancaster, CA User Rating: [5 stars]
We loved this as an alternative to the traditional!



yuk!
10/11/2005 at 10:47am
User: janice from warrenton, MO User Rating: [1 star]
half and half curdled. Yuk. I served this for a dinner party and was embarassed.



Absolutely AWFUL Dish!!!
10/02/2005 at 11:11pm
User: DIANNE from wethersfield, CT User Rating: [1 star]
I, like many other viewers, was sooooo excited to try this recipe. I prepared a special turkey dinner tonight for my family and I tried this as an experiment for the holidays, and I'm so glad I tested this before actually entertaining with it! My kids were so gracious and appreciative of my efforts, but no one went NEAR this one! It was a curdled, YUCKY mess, not to mention an incredible waste of money! DON'T TRY THIS ONE. It's a disappointment, and I normally trust Tyler's recipes, as I've LOVED them! I'm so bummed! YUCK!!!

No comments: