Welcome! to KCTG

I love to EAT, TRAVEL,COOK, always searching for foods, restaurants, recipes, a LEVEL ABOVE ordinary fare - SATORI (Japanese word for AHA!) foods . Find my recipes and those I find, restaurants reviews from all over, posted travels, highlights from interesting TV shows (Travel Channel, Food Channel etc).
SEND YOUR COMMENTS to me (Google, Open ID etc-see left side). Link to me as a friend and contact me about ideas, comments etc. Like my reviews? Please VOTE for me on Urbanspoon
and give me a KUDOs if you like my work. Thanks

Monday, August 25, 2008

Ming Tsai vs Bobby Flay Duck battle

It was a battle royal (duck) in this repeat of an epic battle. I have been to Tsai's restuarant in Mass last March and loved it and his fusion cooking. I even bought one of his cookbooks to try more. But I wanted to see it again. Lately FN has been replaying the best battles so I taped this one. I could disssect it further. Southwestern vs fusion.

Tsai has tea smoked duck (I had tried some of the dust that someone sent me). Subtle but good, duck a la range and focusing on techniques versatility. The judges did not seem disappointed at all with anything (I listen for any hint of grumbling or dislike) .

Flay countered with flavors from cultures. red chili, c itrus, and ancho that I have find some recipes . Sweet potato hash with duck and poblano. He also had a mango, rice wine and online mixture with duck breast in a tortilla.

I was pretty confident Tsai would win but was not sure by how much. I think I said +4 and he won +5 so I was there.

Tsai won 48 to 43. He beat him mostly on tste.
Tsai Flay
Taste 26 21
Plating 10 11
Originality 12 11
______________
48 43

No comments: