Welcome! to KCTG

I love to EAT, TRAVEL,COOK, always searching for foods, restaurants, recipes, a LEVEL ABOVE ordinary fare - SATORI (Japanese word for AHA!) foods . Find my recipes and those I find, restaurants reviews from all over, posted travels, highlights from interesting TV shows (Travel Channel, Food Channel etc).
SEND YOUR COMMENTS to me (Google, Open ID etc-see left side). Link to me as a friend and contact me about ideas, comments etc. Like my reviews? Please VOTE for me on Urbanspoon
and give me a KUDOs if you like my work. Thanks

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Korean condiment called Kochujang- it's good


I found out about this Korean condiment called Kochujang. It is used quite a lot in Korea. It is such a pretty red color and the main ingredient is roasted red pepper along with soy bean, sesame seed, red pepper powder.

I did not see it in the restaurants I tried. I went looking for a jar of it and found it at the Asian food store in Overland Park ,KS. It was not exactly this bran but was also entitled roasted hot pepper paste.

But then I had to search for a suitable recipe for dinner.

Bi Bim Bap (Korean) recipe which I found (see below) took too much trouble for tonight eventhough it sounded good.

I then found a good one Kochujang Sauce (see below).
I could use it with Chicken.
Making this recipe would
not take so long.
I used about 5 times the quanity of the ingredients for the 2 breasts, 2 wings, 2 legs. I marinated the ingredients for about 3 hours in the fridge.

My BBQ was was not working so I broiled the chicken in the oven for about 20 minutes.

I also made a salad I found on food channel since I had spinach and cucumber and other ingredients.
I wilted the spinach however in a wok and added fresh peeled cucumber for crunch. It would an "offshoot" of a Rachel Ray recipe I found. (I think she it good and has some good recipes and is perky. My wife likes her. My two kids loathe Rachel Ray and it is so funny to hear them carry on about her - she does not know how to cook, she can't make the ingredients for that price in $30 a day and yada yada).

The
Kochujang chicken was a hit and I rated it 9.8/10.

The salad I would rate as 9/10 and would try again as well.
I will try to see if I can find more Korean recipes using it. Has anyone tried these or has a favorite Korean food?

*::
Kochujang Sauce
Recipe #190227 | 10 min | 5 min prep | SERVES 2 (Change Servings)
Change to: Servings US Metric Close

RECIPE BY: J. Ko

This sauce is used in a few Korean dishes; most notably in Bi Bim Bap, but can also be used as a dip for vegetables, a flavouring for soups and stir-fry and as a marinade for grilled or barbecued tofu. I am new to Korean food, but we have a young Korean girl staying with us for 5 months, so I have been trying Korean recipes. She gave my Bi Bim Bap and 8 out of 10! A Korean friend of mine also tried my Kochujang Sauce and told me that my recipe was better than hers. I found this recipe on asiarecipe.com under the Korean sauces heading. Kochujang is a thick, miso-like paste made of soybean paste, red pepper powder and glutinous rice flour. Some brands are hotter than others.
# 2 tablespoons korean red chili paste(kochujang)
# 2 small garlic cloves, finely minced
# 1 tablespoon rice vinegar or cider vinegar
# 1 tablespoon soy sauce
# 1 teaspoon sesame oil
# 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted
# 2 scallions, finely shredded on diagonal
# 2 teaspoons sugar(or other sweetener)
Directions

1.Mix all ingredients together well.
2 Keeps a long time in the refrigerator.
3. nThis recipe also multiplies well.
4. If making Kochujang Sauce for Bi Bim Bap; double this recipe for 4 servings.
5. I usually quadruple the recipe so I always have some on hand in the fridge.

***
Show: 30 Minute Meals
Episode: Featherweight
Plate 8 ounces baby spinach, about 5 to 6 cups
1 cup mandarin oranges, drained
1/2 cup chopped red onions
1 tablespoon orange marmalade
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, eyeball the amount
Salt and pepper

Arrange spinach leaves on a large platter or individual salad plates. Top with mandarin sections and chopped red onion. Whisk together marmalade and vinegar. Stream oil into dressing while continuing to whisk.

When you are ready to serve, pour the dressing over salad and season with salt and pepper.

**
Bi Bim Bap (Korean)
Recipe #137771 | 2 hours | 1 hour prep | SERVES 6 (Change Servings) Change to: Servings US Metric

There's a small Korean restaurant near the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor where they make this dish on Tuesdays only. The line goes out the door. I tried a dozen different recipes until I found this one, which is pretty close to the Tuesday special. There are three parts to this recipe: the main dish, the marinade, and Kochujang sauce


Submit a Correction Ingredients
18 ounces chicken breasts 6 eggs, separated 12 ounces carrots, julienned 12 ounces cucumbers, julienned 12 ounces spinach, cooked and shredded sesame oil, as needed salt, pepper to taste 6 cups cooked sushi rice 1 cup soy sauce 1 cup sugar 1/4 cup garlic, minced 1/4 cup chopped white scallions 3 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted and crushed 1/4 cup chili bean paste(kochujang) 2 tablespoons sugar 1 tablespoon water Directions

1. Make the marinade: Combine 1 cup soy sauce, 1 cup sugar, 1/4 cup minced garlic, 1/4 cup chopped white scallion, 3 tablespoons toasted, crushed sesame seeds and pepper to taste.
2. Cut chicken breasts into small pieces, matchstick sized.
3. Let rest at least 2 hours in marinade -- refrigerated.
4. Season egg yolks with salt. Beat until smooth.
5. Lightly oil and heat nonstick pan over medium flame.
6. Cook yolks crêpe-style. Transfer crêpes to. sheet pan to cool.

No comments: