Welcome! to KCTG

I love to EAT, TRAVEL,COOK, always searching for foods, restaurants, recipes, a LEVEL ABOVE ordinary fare - SATORI (Japanese word for AHA!) foods . Find my recipes and those I find, restaurants reviews from all over, posted travels, highlights from interesting TV shows (Travel Channel, Food Channel etc).
SEND YOUR COMMENTS to me (Google, Open ID etc-see left side). Link to me as a friend and contact me about ideas, comments etc. Like my reviews? Please VOTE for me on Urbanspoon
and give me a KUDOs if you like my work. Thanks

Sunday, March 9, 2008

Coffee Seattle's Best

I like coffee but not Starbucks blend. It is has chicoree or something in it and it tastes syrupy. I prefer Seattle Best coffee that I found at Borders in Overland Park, KS. There is a blend called Henry's blend which I like.

I buy a bag of it (some say buy coffee that was roasted 7 days or less ago) ground . They grind it. But I learned " Ground coffee loses a lot of its aromatics in the first minute after being ground" so I might have to rethink my methods.

Later I then have it percolated at home. I usually drink it with ice as iced coffee with some cream or milk substitute. It tastes so good I don't even need sugar. Sometimes I even put a little in with my cereal to give it an an added zip of flavor.What is nice is there is a "frequent flyer card" from Borders that you can use with your orders, drinks, etc. I got a free drink of my choice - a mango soda for free. Nice perk.

Coffee importances

I use am old Mr.Coffee to brew my coffee for hot coffee. I use paper filters but I read now cloth filters may be the better way. I then put the brewed coffee in the frig for ice coffee later. Others say only brew what you can make it in 20 minutes but I don't mind some waiting around. Maybe I am not that picky yet?

At AOL, I find some information that I needed to know. I've been doing things wrong! I knew air and light are enemies of coffee freshness. I've been storing the coffee bag in a plastic sealed bag but I was doing it wrong. The fridge and freezer are BIG no-nos ! Needed to be stored in either in a cupboard or an opaque container. If you're storing it in a bag, force the air out before

The ideal coffee-to-water ratio for the perfect cup is?

Well, that's up to your personal taste. A good starting point is 1 heaping tablespoon per 8 oz of coffee you want to end up with. Note - that's coffee coming out, not water going in. Experiment with your coffee maker. Some say 4 oz. to 1 tablespoon.to find something different. It tastes fine but could the coffee taste even better??

Maybe an inexpensive French press (a.k.a. press pot) might be the answer?

This is how it works.
http://coffeegeek.com/guides/howtouseapourover

I will have to look around for one , see how much it costs and see if it worth it. I found more information about this device on this web page
http://coffeegeek.com/guides


Also I found this very nice coffee website
http://www.coffeereview.com/

another
http://coffeegeek.com/

and

http://coffeeuniverse.com/

No comments: