Welcome! to KCTG

I love to EAT, TRAVEL,COOK, always searching for foods, restaurants, recipes, a LEVEL ABOVE ordinary fare - SATORI (Japanese word for AHA!) foods . Find my recipes and those I find, restaurants reviews from all over, posted travels, highlights from interesting TV shows (Travel Channel, Food Channel etc).
SEND YOUR COMMENTS to me (Google, Open ID etc-see left side). Link to me as a friend and contact me about ideas, comments etc. Like my reviews? Please VOTE for me on Urbanspoon
and give me a KUDOs if you like my work. Thanks

Sunday, January 27, 2008

I've never made biscuits from scratch -seeing this Throwdown I think I will try

Biscuits from scratch -I might just try after seeing this Throwdown with Bobby Flay and Nashville biscuit Queen. I also love blackberry and Blueberry Jam. But as always Flay bring new flavors and they sound good. Well they were so good he won this throwdown with this recipe which I must try. I will report back when I try my hand at making my own biscuits.


Recipe courtesy Bobby Flay, 2008
See this recipe on air Sunday Jan. 27 at 1:00 AM ET/PT.
Show: Throwdown with Bobby Flay
Episode: Biscuits and Jam
Orange-Blueberry Jam:
6 cups prepared fruit, about 6 medium oranges and 4 lemons
1 1/2 cups water
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
6 cups sugar, measured into separate bowl plus 1/4 cup, divided
1/2 teaspoon butter or margarine
1 1/2 pouches fruit pectin
2 cups fresh blueberries

Biscuits
4 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, plus 4 tablespoons, melted
1 1/2 cups cold buttermilk
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, not super fine and not coarse, somewhere in between

For the jam:
Using a vegetable peeler remove the zest of the oranges and lemons. Cut the zest pieces into thin slices, then finely chop or grind and set aside. Peel and discard remaining white part of the peel from fruit. Chop fruit pulp, reserving any juice and set aside. Place the peels, water and baking soda in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the reserved fruit and juice and cover. Simmer an additional 10 minutes.

Stir the 6 cups sugar into the prepared fruit in the saucepan. Add the butter to reduce foaming. Bring mixture to a full rolling boil and boil exactly 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in pectin. Remove from heat and skim off any foam with metal spoon.

Toss the blueberries with 1/4 cup sugar. Place into a small saucepan and cook over medium heat for 30 seconds. Stir into the finished marmalade. Serve at room temperature.

For the biscuits:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Using a dough cutter, combine until ingredients are incorporated. Scatter the cold butter pieces over the top of the flour mixture and continue to combine until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the buttermilk and pulse until the mixture just begins to come together.

Scrape the dough onto a lightly flour counter. Pat the dough into a 10 by 12-inch rectangle about 3/4-inch thick. Use a 3-inch round cutter to cut out biscuits. Press together the scraps of dough, and repeat process. Place the biscuits on 2 baking sheets lined with parchment paper; brush the tops with cream and sprinkle with black pepper. Bake the biscuits for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Remove from the oven and brush the tops with melted butter.

No comments: