Welcome! to KCTG

I love to EAT, TRAVEL,COOK, always searching for foods, restaurants, recipes, a LEVEL ABOVE ordinary fare - SATORI (Japanese word for AHA!) foods . Find my recipes and those I find, restaurants reviews from all over, posted travels, highlights from interesting TV shows (Travel Channel, Food Channel etc).
SEND YOUR COMMENTS to me (Google, Open ID etc-see left side). Link to me as a friend and contact me about ideas, comments etc. Like my reviews? Please VOTE for me on Urbanspoon
and give me a KUDOs if you like my work. Thanks

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Avocado pepper soup- not sure? not bad at alll

It is winter here in Kansas but since we have avocados in the fridge, I thought a soup would be good. Something cold, avocado based and different. There were several in my database. I found this one from Ingrid Hoffmann on Food Network channel. I liked this one because it also added sweet peppers. My wife wan't so keen on it but it came out well and she liked it. I also added pepper cream to it (see recipe below from other recipe I found)

Show: Simply Delicioso with Ingrid Hoffmann
Episode: Spa Day
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 white onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
1/2 red, orange, or yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
2 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 medium avocados, halved, seeded, peeled, and roughly chopped, see *Cook's Note
2 1/2 cups 2 percent milk
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 pound small raw shrimp, peeled and deveined (optional - I did not use)
Fresh basil leaves, finely chopped, for garnishing
Sesame seeds, to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil

Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic and peppers and cook until soft, about 4 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the dill, season with salt and pepper. Put the mixture in the blender jar.

Add the avocado, and milk and 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the blender and puree. When completely smooth, transfer the puree to a bowl, cover, and refrigerate until chilled.

Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and cook until curled, pink and opaque, about 2 to 4 minutes. To serve, pour the chilled soup into small glasses or bowls, add a few of the shrimp to each glass and garnish with the basil, sesame seeds, and a drizzle of oil.

**AnchoCream***
1largedriedanchochile*
1/4cupwhippingcream

I first fried the 2 chilis for a few seconds in my wok and dumped them into a small bowl with cold water . I let them sit for 30 minutes then pureed the chilies and added the cream.

No comments: