Welcome! to KCTG

I love to EAT, TRAVEL,COOK, always searching for foods, restaurants, recipes, a LEVEL ABOVE ordinary fare - SATORI (Japanese word for AHA!) foods . Find my recipes and those I find, restaurants reviews from all over, posted travels, highlights from interesting TV shows (Travel Channel, Food Channel etc).
SEND YOUR COMMENTS to me (Google, Open ID etc-see left side). Link to me as a friend and contact me about ideas, comments etc. Like my reviews? Please VOTE for me on Urbanspoon
and give me a KUDOs if you like my work. Thanks

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

I decided to find a recipe for BAKED potato latkes

I decided to find a recipe for BAKED potato latkes (fritter) for the last two days of Hannukak. I wanted to cut down on grease, oil and cholesterol.
I found this real great recipes which I gave 9.5/10 on my scale. Sue likes them with applesauce and cinnamon which I do too. I also like sour cream (when we don't have meat for meal).

Potato Latkes, Baked (P)
Source: Mindy Hermann, Chicago Sun Times
Yield: 24 latkes

4 medium Yukon gold potatoes (My option : Shoe string potatoes in freezer -bag)
1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped (my option : I added 2 onions)
1 large egg (my option : I added two whole eggs)
2 egg whites (my option : none)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
3 tbsp. flour

Using the coarse blade of a grater (or food processor), grate potatoes and onion alternately into bowl (mixing the potatoes and onion prevents the potatoes from browning).

By hand, squeeze out the excess moisture. Stir in egg, egg whites, salt, pepper and 2 tablespoons of flour. If the mixture is wet, add the additional flour.

Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray.

Add potato mixture by 2 tablespoon measure. Flatten to 1/4" thick. Spray the tops of the latkes with cooking spray.

Bake in a preheated 400°F oven for 20 minutes. Remove, flip over, and bake another 20 minutes or until golden.

Posted by Hermione Becker

Nutritional Info Per Serving: 47 calories/latke

No comments: